I took this pic. It's probably the coolest one I've ever taken.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Discipling is a dirty job...

but thankfully some are willing to do it. This post is in response to the latest Cup O' Joe with Bill post "Rethinking How Disciples are made- part 1". The question posed is "Is it REALLY possible to make disciples of Jesus Christ by dispensing information via speaking, preaching, and teaching alone?" and my reply is no. To truly disciple someone means to take time and invest in their lives.

One of the biggest things we as humans crave is someone to care about us. Lots of different people are telling us how to live our lives... "eat right" "take care of the environment" "vote for ______" "wear this to look cool" "this is the way to heaven" etc. But you and I both know that the ones we listen to the most come from people who take the time to sit and take part in our lives. The same goes for our faith. Lots of people have heard about Christ, or been told what to do and not do, or been "preached at". But how often does the church take the time to sit and build a relationship while sharing the gospel? I admit for a long time I was in the first camp and not the latter, but I'm working on that. Which is better? to have a ministry that preaches at 1000 people each sunday, or a ministry that actively invests in a dozen lives or so? I think I'll take the latter.

This idea of investing is also a big part of the vision Jennifer and I have for our missions undertaking. We want to facilitate short term missions trips. But a major key is to help a ministry that is already taking place, not be the "Americans coming to save the day" or any of that nonsense. If we go to a foreign country to help the people there, it's not our field. It's the field of whoever is doing the work. We just want to help support the ministry in any way we can. Don't have a crusade because we are coming, but we will come help because you are having a crusade. If we were to come and "do a crusade" what happens when we leave? The young man or woman who gets saved but who's only contact is the person leaving again in a few days has nothing to keep them going or help them grow. But if we are acting as a support for someone who is there, then discipling can take place. It's about relationship.

This is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart. I apologize if this has been a bit disjointed but I"m writing it with Kaylee making as much noise as possible for a 2 yr. old... and it's something that I'm so passionate about that the words/thoughts are coming faster than I can sort them or type them. It's why I'm so passionate about CFN (Church Foundational Network). It's all about the relational ministry. Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. I pray you are all well. As always, any thoughts/opinions are always welcome. God bless.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment